Tuesday, November 1, 2011

While We Were Away

For two weeks, Sam & I were in Ghana spending time with our newest family members while I & M stayed stateside with their grandparents.  I can not express how thankful I am that my in-laws are such Godly, family-oriented people who were willing to give of themselves to care for our children during this time!  They did NOT homeschool my husband and so asking them to bear this burden was not easy for me, but they embraced it and really seemed to enjoy the time with our girls.

In order to keep things simple and fun, I only sent Bible & Math curriculum to be done while we were away.  I also assigned 2 research/independent study projects for each girl based on her unique interests & grade level.  They were allowed to present their completed projects to us upon our return in whatever format they desired (book report/essay, photo collage, poster with facts, diorama, etc) as long as they provided an oral presentation as well.  We were so thrilled to see the many hours of work they obviously poured into these assignments!

M's first project was to find things in nature that are unique to the Autumn season.  She had a LOT of fun with Grandma searching for acorns and different colored leaves!

M's second project was derived from her curriculum.  She's been studying Genesis 1 across all subjects, so it seemed fitting to have her create a photo collage of creation.  She was able to find pictures in old magazines and newspapers of various things God created.

I's first project was also seasonally derived.  She researched plant & animal life in Autumn and created a poster with facts, images & items found in nature that change during this time of year.

I's second project assignment stemmed from some reading she had done in her History curriculum.  She wanted to learn more about Pocahontas, and so I encouraged that!  I learned a lot during I's oral presentation.


We've been home a full week now and we're back in the "school at home" routine.  Hard to believe we're almost through our first quarter (I have to have the report to the school next week!).  I can not believe how much of a blessing this decision (to home school) has been to our family!  So abundantly thankful to the friends in my life that have supported us in this transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment