Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Week In

As I sit here typing, I is eagerly moving ahead in her science workbook, excited to see what comes next, and M is coloring her little heart out.  We're a week into this homeschool venture and although the "honeymoon effect" is still fairly present, the girls are settling into a routine & I'm beginning to see their personalities come into their studies.

I'm pleased so far with the LIFEPAC curriculum for this year.  The material challenges I without causing her anxiety and although still mostly review for M, it holds her interest.  Lesson plans are thorough and easy enough to follow.  There isn't a ton of prep work on my part - which will be HUGE when our Ghanaian angels come home!

Today also included a new experience for us...we went to our first homeschool co-op meeting this morning.  It was a very informal gathering where kids of all ages played together and the moms chatted and got to know each other a little (I'm sure dads are welcome too...there just didn't happen to be any today).  I have been part of this group for a few months online but this was the first opportunity to put faces with names of the people who've helped answer so many of my questions along the way.  I'm so thankful for this community as they've been a tremendous support as I learn the ropes of NY state regulations.

So there you have it...week 1...done.  Our first week included a fabulous science center field trip, a fun co-op gathering, getting further in the curriculum than anticipated & beginning to read the Little House Books as a family.  The girls are loving it and so am I!  Can't wait to see what next week has in store...

4 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful :) I am glad you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi christy! This is my first year homeschooling in the WNY area as well! I look forward to reading your blog and hearing all your new adventures! My girls are 5, 2 and 10 months.

    Nicole
    www.Faithinsmallthings.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy, I didn't know you had this blog, too. I'm glad we've gotten to meet up and I'm hopeful that you'll join us again! B has been itching to see I & M again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi T! I have this blog, but I'm not as diligent about posting here as I am on the adoption blog. We *should* be at group on Thursday for the party, gf treat in hand. ;) See you then!

    ReplyDelete